TRIO Fire Spark
TRIO Fire Spark Program
TRIO is a federal program at the University of Illinois that is funded by the Department of Education. TRIO Student Support Services-SSS is one of 7 TRIO programs; SSS accepts and works with students that identify as low-income first-generation (meaning neither parent has earned a bachelor’s degree), or students who fall under either criterion and/or with disabilities. The program is designed to provide students with assistance in academics, career preparation, cultural enrichment and financial literacy. The goal of the program is to:
• Assist individual TRIO participants through to post-baccalaureate degrees, or career goals
• Help in navigating academic challenges
• Provide internal or external scholarship information and assistance
• Coach students in effective learning tools, or strategies, and provide tutoring assistance
• TRIO works to advocate when necessary.
TRIO SSS is a diverse group of students from different cultures so the program designs activities and outings to enrich the cultural acuity of the TRIO student participants.
The program provides:
• Advising - both academic and personal,
• An area to study or rest with printing and computers,
• Camaraderie with other TRIO students,
• Cultural excursions or events, (free to TRIO participants)
• graduate school preparation and tours
All interested students are required to fill out an application and submit 3 documents which are needed for proof of enrollment and financial aid. TRIO personnel will follow-up with each applicant to complete the enrollment. Any former TRIO participants are encouraged to apply.
July 27-28, 2020
PROGRAM DAYS AND TIMES
12:00-3:00 p.m. for both days